Opened in 1959 by Ann Sangiacomo, Mickey’s Drive-In remains a Bellwood staple and regional favorite for all who seek great food and the at-home feel of a friendly Mom and Pop restaurant.
Mickey’s Drive In was established at a time when eating by the roadside or on the hood of your car was a part of Americana. It was Annie’s dream to have a little business of her own. With just a few hundred dollars and the help of her husband Mickey, Annie transformed a roadside ice cream on Mannheim Road into a hot dog stand serving what we now know as the Chicago Style Hot Dog : A steamed bun with mustard, relish, onion and sport peppers. With the help of family and friends and a commitment to her dream the business and the menu slowly grew.
The little store got a little bigger in the 1960’s when the old outdoor walk-up window was closed in so Mickey’s customers could stand at the counter, protected from the Mid-west weather, and eat their sandwiches. All four of Annie and Mickey’s kids met their wife’s or Husband’s at work…. “because that’s the only place they were ever allowed to go” is the joke in the family. Annie and Mickey’s grandchildren have worked there many of them as their first paying job and the legacy continues in the fourth generation with Annie and Jake taking a hand.
What started over sixty years ago is alive and well and carries forward the family tradition. Come join us at Mickey’s and say hello to Mickey Jr. and Frank while you’re there.
- Continue with the commitment to high quality and family tradition.
- Make food for people as they order it.
- Make it right in front of them so they know it’s fresh.
- Give them plenty and let them know that you care that they enjoy it, just as you would if they were a guest in your own home.
- When they come back, day after day, year after year, you’ll know you’ve done right by them and right for yourself and your family.
- Family owned
- Same location and same name for the last 60 years
- Vienna Beef Hall of Fame Inductee 2006
- Gift Cards available!
- When Mickey’s opened, a hot dog, fries and a drink cost 37 cents with tax
Mickey’s Drive-In will be open normal hours for the big game, 10:30 AM to 10:00 PM You can still stop in and grab your favorite Chicago style lunch and dinner, or get some by the pound for the whole team!
The second of two bikes was finally given away the other day, and happy dad Travis, who’s “never won anything ever” walked away with a few Chicago Style dogs and a brand new bike! Another local, and another regular to win! We couldn’t have been happier! We don’t think he could either! Thanks again to …
To celebrate 60 years of serving the community some of the best food around, were giving a little more and raffling off two bikes! We gave away the first yesterday! We couldn’t be happier that the winner was regular, and a 40 Year customer! Don’t forget, there’s still another bike to be won! Stop in …